Monday, November 10, 2014

Email November 10, 2014

Bunch of Burtons

Well its getting darker a lot sooner now that's for sure, the light is gone by 4:30, and the rest of the day is cloudy. Danes tend to be good though at turning what could be dark and depressing into warm and cozy. Hyggeligt as Danes put it (untranslatable).

We had an exciting week here as a mission, at our zone training's we had our early celebration of Thanksgiving with a turkey dinner, a talent show, and the Turkey Bowl- american football! Our district sung a song for the talent show, and I sent a video of it, although it is kind of hard to hear. We also had a mission fast for finding new investigators and found 100 total this week, probably the most found in a week since Erasnus Snow served here. The work is hastening! 

"Thinking" has been on my mind quite a bit this last week. I read a talk by M. Russel Ballard about "Thinking straight", his grandfather Melvin J. Ballard's final words had been "Above all else, brethren, let us think straight." I feel that many of us, myself especially, go through life without thinking. As I've focused more this week on my thinking I've realized how often I don't think at all. Making decisions spontaneously without thinking them through. Thomson of Fleet wrote "Sloppy, inconclusive thinking becomes a habit. The more one does it, the more one is unfitted to think a problem through to a proper conclusion." How can we expect to grow and become more when we don't even take the time to think and consider? If there is one thing my first year has taught me is that I can begin changing now. I can't just set goals for who I want to become and stumble across success as I wander, I need to start trying to be who I want to be now. And its as we make mistakes and fall short that we can apply the atonement and grow a little more. Lawrence E. Corbridge said "You change immediately with each good thought, each good act, every good word changes you for the better." As we think straight and make good decisions we change. We take another small step towards Christ our ultimate example. Franklin D. Richards also said that "Effective faith does require mental exertion." In order to be successful we need to think until it hurts. Elder Ballard says in his talk "straight thinkers do not make serious mistakes in life. Those who think straight do not have moral problems. Those who think straight really do not have problems with the Word of Wisdom. They don't have problems paying tithing. They don't have problems with being righteous and good. " he asks us to pray and ask "Heavenly Father, bless me to be a good thinker, a straight thinker, so when I am called upon... I might bless those who look to me for leadership." Through humble prayer and effort we can all obtain the ability to think straight. 

Calls just came! I'm being transferred next Monday to Randers 2 with Elder Amos who just finished his training. I'm grateful for the opportunity to serve here in Holbæk, I know I'm never truly going to be done with my service here because one day I'll be back. I've changed so much here. And learned so much from those I have worked with. I'm excited for a different environment to apply the things I've learned and to stretch myself even more. I just thought of a poem "Mind is the master power that molds and makes, and man is mind, taking what he wills, brings fourth a thousand joys a thousand ills, he thinks in secret and it comes to pass, environment is but his looking glass." I never quite understood what the last line meant until now "environment is but his looking glass" no matter what the environment he applies his power and thinking to every situation. The man who is master of his mind is always his best self no matter his environment. I hope I can apply this in Randers. 

Now come the goodbyes....

Everyone's doing great here. Familien Pelargu from Albania are doing great! The father and son came to soccer on Saturday and had a great time. And Saturday evening they were able to come to stake conference and one of the members translated for them. Great member missionary work when we didn't see them until half way through the meeting because a member was taking such good care of them, giving a ride, finding a seat, translating, introducing new friends, inviting to dinner.... I'm defiantly going to miss this ward. 

Aot's girlfriend sat in on the lesson this last time that we visited, she had a few questions as well about what makes are church different from others. The hard part is she doesn't believe in God at all. She mentioned that it would be nice to have a belief but she isn't letting herself open up to the possibility that there is. 

We found two new investigators this week! Justice, Justices's boy friend (ja, their both named Justice) and Else! We've been meeting with Else for a while but she didn't officially become and investigator until this week when we were able to set a solid return appointment for Saturday. 

I hope everyone is well back home, look up this talk "Let us Think Straight" by M. Russel Ballard. It was given at a BYU devotional. Have a great week! 

Meget Kærlighed!

Elder Ken Burton

No comments:

Post a Comment