Sunday, December 30, 2018

Email December 30, 2018


Email December 30, 2018 – Elder Jackson Kunzler Burton

Happy New Year's Everyone!
                  Today is the last day of the year! And what a great year it's been! This was the one chance in my life where I got to spend the entire year in Japan, serving God and His people. I've grown so much in the past year, I've met so many new people, made so many friendships, and seen so many miracles! I'm so grateful for all the people this year in Eniwa, Hakodate, Ebetsu, and Shiroishi, as well as other missionaries and my family and the all people back home who have made such an impact on my life this year. I'll forever treasure all the memories made in 2018, and I'm so excited to start a new year!
                  This week was great! Talking to my family on Christmas was so fun, I love you all so much! We also had Eikaiwa on Christmas so we brought snacks and had some fun afterward. We also gave out little Christmas presents to people on the street, it's fun to see how happy it makes people to receive an unexpected Christmas gift from someone they don't know. Later in the week we went to a children's library to see if we could volunteer to read to kids, but they don't allow anyone with any sort of religious connection to do that which was disappointing. But I got to see a bunch of English picture books which was fun.

                  On Saturday we also had a lesson with a returning member that went really well, he has a really good knowledge of the gospel and wants to go to church but it's difficult because of his job and family situation. But on Sunday afternoon we visited him again with the Sakurai's, the temple missionaries serving in our ward, and he said he'd be able to come next week! The Sakurai's are awesome, it's become kind of a weekly thing where after church they drive us around to visit less active members and it's super helpful because we don't have bikes in the winter so we can get to people that are hard to visit on our own. They are also really kind and bold when talking to people and they're helping a lot to soften people's hearts. I'm learning a lot from them about how to help people come back unto Christ.
                  On Sunday at church we also learned about the plan for 2019 for the Asia North Area and I really like it. It's as simple as A, B, C. Activate, Baptize, and Care. That idea came straight from President Nelson. Bring those who have strayed back into the fold, bring new people in through baptism, and care for and minister to those who are here. It really simply covers everything we need to be doing as missionaries and members, and I think this year is going to be a really great one for this area and Japan. I'd encourage all of you to keep those priorities in mind and always be thinking about how you can help to achieve one of those. I hope you're all ready to see tons of miracles this year, because I know they will come! God will work miracles if we have the faith to follow His commandments! I love you all! Have a great year!

No comments:

Post a Comment