Monday, April 7, 2014

April 7, 2014

Email April 7, 2014 – Elder Kenneth Wm. Burton
"I pray because I can't help myself... the need flows out of me." -CS Lewis

Bunch of Burtons

General Conference! So many great talks! I hope everyone was able to listen or watch. I still have to figure out how to watch the last session. Because of the time difference we watched the Saturday morning session at 6.00 Saturday night. Watched the Priesthood session Sunday morning at 11.00, Saturday afternoon session at 2.00 Sunday morning and then watched the Sunday morning session live at 6.00 Sunday evening. If we had wanted to watch the Sunday afternoon session we would have had to be up way past curfew, so I guess we'll just have to wait for it to be published in the ensign, or try and watch it at the church sometime this week.

There were a lot of talks this week on charity. From the sessions I saw I think I counted nine talks relating to love and charity. Kind of a hint that its important.

I encourage everyone to get a copy of Preach My Gosepel as Elder Ballard asked, and to study through it as much as you can. It will help you to recognize oportunities to do missionary work as well as help you to better know the gospel. One of the first sections of Preach My Gospel is all about personal study and it has helped me to grow more in my own studies. 

This last Tuesday we called up our district leader Elder Christensen with news that we had found the bike that he had just lost or had stollen. He was so excited. We were about 90% sure it was his bike, and we were trying to figure out a way to get him to our apartment so he could check the lock to make sure it really was his. And then we dropped the April Fools on him. It was pretty funny. There arnt many good April fools jokes you can do on a mission. For example at the end of the day Elder Johnson changed the time on the phone and convinced me that he had changed all the clocks except the phone that morning while I was in the shower. I was pretty mad, I thought we really had been getting to everything an hour early because at the apointment we had that day the member had shown up half an hour late and if my watch was an hour early that would have explained it perfectly. He had me going for a minute. Im glad he was smart enough after all not to have done that. It would have really thrown off the whole day. It was pretty funny afterwards though, he had come up with the entire thing right on the spot and it tied together really well.

Hey Mom, could you email me some recipies, I feel like I eat a lot of the same things over and over again. Nothing to complicated though, we only have an hour for meals. I had some meals in mind earlier, but I cant remember what they were now. Im sure you have some good ideas.

Something that stuck out to me in conference was a line from a song the choir sung, "courage! for the lord is on our side!" We are diciples of Jesus Christ, the son of God, and anything is possible through him. Through Christ we will be victorious! As Joseph Smith said, "courage bretheren, and on, on to victory!"

Thanks everyone! As said in conference "run the race that you may win the prize." We're running anyway we might as well put in our full effort that we might win.

Meget Kærlighed!

Ældste Burton

No comments:

Post a Comment