Monday, May 6, 2019

Email May 6, 2019


Email May 6, 2019 – Elder Jackson Kunzler Burton

Hey Everyone!
                  This week was great! On Wednesday we went with the Ashdown's to do some service by greeting cruise passengers who came into Kushiro. We got to meet people from England, Australia, Candada, Florida, Texas, and Ogden, Utah! The couple from Ogden know my parents and grandparents and also have the last name Burton! It's a small world! While there I also got the chance to do some origami and Japanese archery! All while getting to know various Japanese people from Kushiro including a bunch of high school students , so it was a good activity.
                  On Wednesday and Thursday we went to Sapporo for a meeting and there were sakura blossoms! I've been so excited to see them, they haven't bloomed in Kushiro yet because it's still too cold. But it was cool seeing sakura by the temple, two of my favorite things!

                  We also today got to go with some members to Mashu Lake, which is formed by a volcano crater and is one of the purest lakes in the world. It was beautiful! Then we had gelato went to a foot onsen(hot spring), which was awesome!
                  In regards to the work, we weren't able to meet with many of the people we're teaching because of Golden Week, a long holiday in Japan where most people are off work and school and they all go on vacation. But we were able to meet with a 20 year old member whose parents are active but him and his siblings haven't gone to church in a long time. We had a good lesson with him and he committed to read the Book of Mormon, which is great because it's been about 7 years since he's read it. Hopefully we'll be able to help him come back to church and get his brothers too!
                  Last of all, I read this scripture during personal study this week and it really touched me. It's Moroni 8:2, and Mormon is talking to his son. "My beloved son, Moroni, I rejoice exceedingly that your Lord Jesus Christ hath been mindful of you, and hath called you to his ministry, and to his holy work." It made me feel so grateful that the Lord is mindful of me too, and has called me to this holy work. Being on a mission has been such a blessing, I don't feel like it's been a sacrifice, instead it feels like a precious gift that God has given me, and I know I need to make the most of it. I've seen so many miracles and I know this is God's work! I love you all! Have a great week!

Love,
Elder Burton

No comments:

Post a Comment