Monday, September 21, 2015

Email September 21, 2015

Email September 21, 2015 – Elder Kenneth William Burton

Bunch of Burtons

I love the feeling that is present when one is on the right path. A feeling of excitement and peace, a feeling of urgency and assurance. A feeling of nervousness and hope. God is great and God is good. He is guiding this work. The smallest of hints are all around us, and when their seen a pure love is felt. It requires patience though. I love one description Elder Bednar gave of walking on a foggy day. Its bright, but the fog limits how far you can see. You need to move carefully as to not run into anything, but you have somewhere to be, so you cant go to slowly. One step at a time. Lesson upon lesson. Event upon event. I don't understand all the promptings received and I cant see past the next step, but I feel an assurance that the direction is correct.

I've been asked a question that I haven't been able to answer yet... "If you could change the world, what would you change?" Its been on my mind off and on recently. The following question adds to it... "How can you apply this to your current circumstances?" The world obviously wont be changed over night. That change will only come through changing our smaller, more specific circumstances. My purpose is to help others come unto Christ. I may not change the world, but the world can be changed by my purpose.

I honestly don't know what to write, I could continue with the things we did throughout the week, but I feel like at times that doesn't give credit for what the week was. When President O'Bryant first got here he invited us to look at the difference between doing and becoming. Its difficult to describe a week of becoming by describing what I've been doing. Sometimes they overlap, but not completely.

I love serving with Elder Curnow. I've been learning so much from him the last few weeks. And even more from just the experience of serving with him. The Lord really does know his children, us and those we're teaching. And he puts us in situations that will be the best for all. I've been learning how to follow the spirit in lessons, or in the moment. Elder Curnow has a talent for following the spirit in advance, in the planning. The combination of blessings helps us and those we teach so much more than if we were separate, or had the same talents. And now we're both blessed with the opportunity to develop those and learn from the other.

I love a verse in D&C 124:44 that says, "If ye labor with all your might, I will consecrate that spot that it shall be made holy." I've seen the fulfillment of that prophecy. Denmark has become a holy place. I love it here.

I guess I'm on a spiritual high right now, we had the opportunity to give a blessing to a girl the Sisters are teaching. She's had a rough time the last few weeks... She has come to a knowledge that the church is true, but she's 17 and her father wont support her in her decision to be baptized. So right now she's waiting until she turns 18 in a few months. I wont give many details, but the power of the priesthood is amazing. Isn't it incredible that God has entrusted us with his authority again on the earth? 

Thanks for all the emails! I love you all! Have a great week.

Meget Kærlighed,

Elder Burton

No comments:

Post a Comment