Monday, November 16, 2015

Email November 16, 2015

Email November 16, 2015 – Elder Kenneth William Burton

Bunch of Burtons

Well time flies. Feels like just yesterday I was sitting here sending an email home. Where did the week go?

I want to say, I'm grateful for the opportunity I had to extend. The Lord has been blessing me with so many opportunities to do good, and at the same time I've been learning so much.

The Lord qualifies the called. He lifts us up to more than we could be on our own, to the blessing of those around us.

We found a new investigator through our friend Martin this week. We showed up to our appointment with him and he immediately cut us off saying he wanted to introduce us to his friend. He then lead us a few blocks away to a laundromat where we met Kyle. Turns out a while back he had been given a Book of Mormon by some missionaries who had used the laundromat, and he kept it on a shelf with all the magazines and things that customers could read. He told us about a woman who would come in every week and read 15 to 20 pages from the Book of Mormon and leave a book mark for the next time she was there. Then one day she came again and found it had been taken out by another customer. Talk about flooding the earth with the Book of Mormon. Who would have expected a bunch of laundromat customers to be spending so much time reading it. We gave him another book which he put on the same shelf and promised that he would  begin reading it himself. He also knows one of the members fairly well and would like to come visit the church some time. We have an appointment with him and Martin on Tuesday.  

We've also began teaching a man named Jesper. When we found him on the street we thought of asking him where he found his faith in God. He then told us a story of when he was divorced some years back he was angry with God so he began going to church every Sunday so that he could learn about his enemy. The truth built in his heart until he came to find a love for God and his teachings. Jesper is one of those people who has such a positive outlook on life, and he relates that to God. We promised him the Book of Mormon would help him to build upon that and he's excited to read. .

I read this morning a quote from the last general conference when Neil L. Andersen said, "When was the last time you read the Book of Mormon from cover to cover? Read it again. It will increase your faith." There were so many great blessings promised at conference and this was one of the ones that has stood out in my mind. So I recently began reading through the Book of Mormon again from the beginning. There are so many incredible truths found in that book. Truths that do indeed increase faith as we apply them into our lives. I have defiantly seen the truth of Joseph Smiths statement when he said, "I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book." I have seen it bring me closer to God. And I am so happy for the opportunity I have to share the truths found in it with others. Because I know it will also help them come closer to God.

I'm also grateful that that opportunity is not limited to my time here in Denmark. I've been feeling that more and more as I've been coming up on the end of my mission. That its not ending here. It hasn't hit me yet that I only have a few weeks left. I feel that is because although I love Denmark and will miss it and its people so much, what I love most is the purpose and the spirit I have here. And that purpose wont end, but will continue. As well as will the companionship of the Holy Ghost. My purpose will always be to invite others to come unto Christ, and to do all I can to follow the promptings of the spirit to do so.

I love you all, have a great week!

Meget Kærlighed,

Elder Ken Burton

No comments:

Post a Comment