Monday, November 23, 2015

Email November 23, 2015

Email November 23, 2015 – Elder Kenneth Wm. Burton

Bunch of Burtons

...................................I'm at a loss for words. Right now I'm just trying not to go into shock that I'm on to the last week. Seven days.

"I am like a man on a sea voyage nearing his destination. When I embarked I worried about having a cabin with a porthole, whether I should be asked to sit at the captain's table, who were the more attractive and important passengers. All such considerations become pointless when I shall soon be disembarking." -Ian Hunter

Time is so interesting. I found a quote from Neal A. Maxwell that I really like, he said, "let us make allowance for the rapidity with which time seems to pass, especially when we are happy. Jacob found it so: 'And Jacob served seven years for Rachel; and they seemed unto him but a few days. for the love he had for her.'(Gen. 29:20)"

These last two years have flown by. Until now I never really tied that to the love I have for the Lord. In my time here I've come to learn what Jacob did. That that which you give your heart to, you come to love. And that which you come to love you give your heart to.

To throw in another quote, "Love is the most costly of commodities. The more your willing to pay, the more valuable the price. The question is, are you willing to pay the price?" -Johnny Lingo

When I left on my mission two years seemed like quite a gift. Now my only desire is to give more. I wish to dedicate my life to the Lord. It is him who has given it to me. It is him who has been teaching me and guiding me. It is him who has blessed me and surrounded me with so many incredible people that have helped me to change and become a bit more like Christ. And it is him that strengthens me that I may be able to learn the lessons I'm being taught.

I do not know where the Lord will take me in the future. But I look forward with hope. With an excitement to see what will come. My mission is incredible, and I would not trade it for anything. I would also not trade anything for the blessings that will come with the future. 
 I am sad to leave this place that I love, but I'm excited to come to love what is to come.Doctrine and Covenants 124:44 reads "If ye labor with all your might, I will consecrate that spot that it shall be made holy." I have a testimony of this truth, and look forward to applying it in every aspect of my life. As we rely upon and trust in the Lord he strengthens us and blesses us with his Spirit. The fruits of that spirit being, "love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance." -Galatians 5:22-23. That fruit comes only through Christ, it is a gift from him. Of which I am so grateful.

This last week has been great. Mitch came to church! While preparing for our guest class we were teaching about hope, the thought came to show the restoration video. Afterwards Mitch surprised us with a few comments about Joseph Smith and when asked he said that he believe Joseph to have been called of God. He's been searching for so long to get that answer and he's found it! He's still struggling with health problems, but he's moving forward! We should be meeting with him on friday.

Its interesting using so much family history, we've just really started it, and its difficult to jump into the 5-10 hours of service we're wanting to do with it each week, but there are things coming from it.  There is a woman in our ward who's husband is not a member. We visited them on Tuesday and talked with them about family history. Turns out they love it. They both do it as a hobby. We invited them to come to the church on Thursday where we could go set some stories and things they've found on familysearch. They came and Aase the wife was able to find an ancestor she's been having a hard time finding for a while.

The training with Elder Curnow is just about done, I think we only have a bullet point or two left to go over. He's learned a lot in the last few transfers, that's for sure. He gave a talk in church yesterday and did a great job. His danish is much better than mine was at that point. He's a hard worker, and I've always been impressed with the deep desire he has to do his best. I've loved serving with him.

I hope you all have a great week... see you soon!
Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving! We'll be having a turkey dinner at a zone conference/talent show/turkey bowl football game. Should be fun.

Meget Kærlighed,
Elder Kenneth Burton

Apparently today is the international day of the Bible... Happy Bible day!


Quote for the day: "If you wanna be a rebel, read the Bible."

No comments:

Post a Comment